Gabriele Scarascia Mugnozza
Full Professor – Rome University “La Sapienza”
GEO/05 – Engineering Geology
Degree in Geological Sciences, 1986, University of Roma “Sapienza”. Ph.D. in Engineering Geology, 1991, University of Roma “Sapienza”. Visiting Researcher (August 1994-July 1995) to the University of Kyoto (Japan). Since January 2005 he is Full Professor at the University of Roma “Sapienza”. He has been involved and/or is presently being involved in the following research activities: a) landslides (mechanisms, regional distribution, hazard assessment); b) seismic microzonation; c) geomorphological evolution and landslide activity at regional scale; d) groundwater contamination; e) microzonation at urban and site scale; f) large scale rockslides and avalanches in Central and Southern Italy; g) physical, analogical and numerical modelling of Deep Seated Gravitational Deformations. He is membership of IAEG, ISRM, ISSMGE, I.A.H., S.G.I., AIGA. He participates to the following research projects:
- Leader of research projects funded by: Italian Department of Civil Defence/Seismic Survey, INGV (PS3, PS6), and CNR.
- National coordinator of a MIUR PRIN 2005 research on “Earthquake induced landslides”.
- Team manager of research projects funded by Abruzzi Region and Lazio Region respectively on Seismic microzonation and Landslide and avalanche hazard assessment.
- Responsible of a Research Agreement between Università “La Sapienza” and Waterloo University (Canada) on Geohazards deriving from landslides and groundwater contamination.
- Responsible of a Research Agreement between Università “La Sapienza” and University of British Columbia (Canada) on Catastrophic landslides.
- Co-director of a NATO Advanced Research Workshop on “Massive Rock Slope Failure: New Models for Hazard Assessment” held in Celano in June 2002.
- Co-director of a NATO Advanced Research Workshop on “Security of Natural and Artificial Rock Slide Dams” held in Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan) in June 2004.
- Participant in UE Nuclear Science and Technology “MIRAGE Project” on Migration of Radionuclides in the Geosphere.
- Appointed by the Italian Department of Civil Defence as a member of the Expert Panel on “General Addresses and Criteria for Seismic Microzonation”.
- Member of the Steering Committee of Italian Association of Engineering Geology and Environment.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the “Italian Journal of Engineering Geology and Environment”.
- Appointed as a referee by some international ISI journals. He is author or co-author of more than 80 scientific papers and conference proceedings.